Over the years, I’ve been on the search for delicious, no-fail cake recipes to replace the boxed versions I used to habitually reach for. Let’s face it, most pre-packaged desserts are teeming with ingredients not meant for human consumption. But, on the other hand, they taste oh-so-good! 😉
I’ve made several cake and cupcake recipes from scratch now, and I’ve been disappointed with most. They’re too dry… Too crumbly… Too different (and not in a good way) than the familiar taste of cake I was craving. And so, my search has continued.
And then I tried this chocolate cake and frosting recipe from Hershey’s.
The mix is quick to put together and no-fail. The cupcakes come out moist and rich with chocolate flavor. And the frosting is fudgy and easy to work with.
Although I still have a ways to go before I can swear off boxed cake mixes, I can assure you that I won’t be buying one of the chocolate variety any longer. These are just SO delicious!!!
Hershey’s Chocolate Cupcakes and Frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
3. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.