When asked to bake Oreo cupcakes for a friend, I decided to doctor up a boxed, yellow cake mix and to add some cookie crumbs to a homemade vanilla buttercream frosting. The end result was a delicious, cookies-and-cream inspired cupcake! Mini oreo’s added the perfect (and easy) decorating touch to finish them off.
If you like Oreo’s, you’ll love these cupcakes!! 🙂
Oreo Cookie Cupcakes (Inspired by The First Year Blog)
Box yellow cake mix (and all ingredients required)
1. Mix together yellow cake mix and all the ingredients called for on the back of the box (eggs, water, and oil). Crush 15 oreo’s and mix into cake mix.
2. Split 24 oreo’s and place half (the frosting half… and frosting side up) in cupcake tins, topping with the cake mix. (Save the top portion of the cookies for the frosting). Bake cupcakes according to box directions. Let cool before frosting.
Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting (Inspired by Williams Sonoma)
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 Tbs. milk, plus more, if needed
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Crushed Oreo cookies (crush about 15 cookie halves… and use the half pieces without frosting)
Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the confectioners¿ sugar, butter, the 4 1/2 Tbs. milk, the vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks. Stir in cookie crumbs.